As Hajj is getting close (for this year) now is a great time to start studying to try and learn as much as you can about this amazing journey (especially if you are planning to go). I hope I have wet your appetite with my Hajj posts so far. There are many great books, articles and resources to help you learn. Today I wanted to review one that I used when I went to Hajj.
Getting the best out of Al-Hajj (Pilgrimage)
by Abu Muneer Ismail Davids
All I can say about this book is that (for me) this was the only reference book on Hajj I needed. I would strongly recommended that you pick this book up and read it from cover to cover. Then read it again & make notes. The author has done an excellent job of keeping the book extremely practical (& relevant) to the modern traveler, providing valuable tips and personal insights. He has also done a great job at simplifying the details into clear, concise lists (and checklists) of “Best actions” which are excellent. This is then combined with great references to Quran and Hadith where appropriate to assist in fuller understanding of all the issues.
Rather than try to summarize & comment on each chapter, here is a high-level overview of the main topics covered:
- Chapter 1: Hajj as an Obligation, Types of Hajj, Who and When to go?
- Chapter 2: Planning and Preparation
- Chapter 3: About Women
- Chapter 4: What to Expect
- Chapter 5: What about those staying behind?
- Chapter 6: About the Ihraam
- Chapter 7: The Journey from Home to Makkah
- Chapter 8: Makkah Al-Mukkawarah
- Chapter 9: Umrah
- Chapter 10: Hajj
- Chapter 11: Supplications from the Qur’an and Sunnah
- Chapter 12: Madinah Al-Munawarah
- Chapter 13: A Touch of History
- Chapter 14: Revision
- Chapter 15: Checklists
- In Closing
If I had one complaint about this book, it was that I could not find the mentioned pocket guide very easily. So not really a compliant 😉 …
Also there is a set of Video lectures that the author has done – which I also found very entertaining and informative.
So in summary … if you want one reference book for Hajj – which is not only simple and informative but packed full of great information and tips – this is the one.
PS – Actually alot of my notes and posts on Hajj are based on this book.
Here are the techie details …
- Hardcover: 439 pages
- Publisher: Dar-us-Salam for Publishing & Distribution; 2nd edition (August 1, 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9960980308
- ISBN-13: 978-9960980300
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 1 inches
So where can you find a copy …