Hajj is the pilgrimage to Mecca (in Saudi Arabia).
- Literally “Hajj” means “to set out for a place”. For a Muslim, that place is the Holy City of Makkah (Mecca)
- The pilgrimage involves performing certain rites/actions at certain places at specific times
- Hajj is a pillar of Islam
- The performance of Hajj is obligatory, at least once in a lifetime, upon every Muslim, male or female, who is mentally, financially and physically fit.
As Hajj is nearly here (for this year) I will try to put together a series of Hajj related posts – so stay tuned 🙂
- “The Translation of the Meanings of Sahih Al-Bukhari”. Translated by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. Darussalam. July, 2007. Volume 9, pg 408
- Ministry of Hajj – Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Official site) [Link]
- “Islam in Focus”. By Hammudah Abdalati. Da’wah Academy International Islamic University. Pg 99